Please join us on San Juan Island to explore UW’s internationally-acclaimed marine labs.
Once a year we open our doors and labs to encourage others to come see what we’re doing! As you find your way across our beautiful FHL campus, you’ll get a behind-the-scenes look at our facilities and learn about the exciting research being done here. No need to RSVP to this family-friendly event that’s open to all ages!
On your self-guided tour you can:
- view SCUBA diving demos @ 11:30, 12:30 & 1:30
- catch plankton & use a microscope to examine it
- touch sea life
- take in a scientific lecture
- hop aboard our docked 58-ft research vessel Centennial and snack on fresh popcorn while you check out oceanographic tools, sonar systems, video captured by our remotely operated vehicle (ROV), and walk through the boat’s wheelhouse
- browse amongst booths and displays from other local agencies, including The Whale Museum and Friends of Lime Kiln Society
- shop for FHL “swag” including t-shirts, sweatshirts and hats
- grab a light bite to eat on the deck of our historic Dining Hall
- enjoy a live marimba band*
We look forward to seeing you!
Sat. May 11th, 11 am – 4 pm
* Kubatana Marimba Ensemble and Island Marimba Studio returning to perform on the Dining Hall deck.