Applications for Summer 2020 will open on January 6, 2020.
Applications due March 1, 2020
Applications will be accepted after March 1st for courses with space available. For more information, contact Stacy Markman, FHL Student Coordinator.
Summer Term A
Monday, June 15 – Friday, July 17, 2020 (5 weeks)
• Term A students should plan to arrive at FHL on Sunday, June 14 after 3:00 p.m. The first meal provided for students is dinner served on Sunday, June 14, 6:00-6:30 p.m.
• Term A students will depart FHL after morning classes on Friday, July 17. The last meal included for students is lunch served on Friday, July 17, 12:15-12:45 p.m. Students will be asked to move their belongings out of the dorms by 11:00 a.m. Those staying for lunch may store their luggage in the FHL Dining Hall until lunch is completed.
Monday, July 20 – Friday, August 21, 2020 (5 weeks)
•Term B students should plan to arrive at FHL on Sunday, July 19 after 3:00 p.m. The first meal provided for students is dinner served on Sunday, July 19, 6:00-6:30 p.m.
• Term B students will depart FHL after morning classes on Friday, August 21. The last meal included for students is lunch served on Friday, August 21, 12:15-12:45 p.m. Students will be asked to move their belongings out of the dorms by 11:00 a.m. Those staying for lunch may store their luggage in the FHL Dining Hall until lunch is completed.
• Each 5-week course in Summer Term A and Summer Term B will be 9 credits.
• Summer classes require a full-time commitment and are held Mon-Fri 8:30 am-5:00 pm, plus Saturday mornings 8 am-noon, except during the final week of classes when Friday is a half-day and there is no Saturday meeting.
• You may take courses sequentially, for example, one in each summer term, but not concurrently.
• 400-level courses are suitable for upper-level undergraduates or graduate students; 500-level courses are graduate-level. Well-qualified undergraduates may be admitted to a graduate-level course with the consent of the FHL Director and the faculty teaching the course.
• Credits for FHL coursework will be earned through the University of Washington (UW) but students do not need to be matriculated at UW to attend FHL. Students should confer with their home advisor regarding transfer credits.
• You must apply to and be accepted by Friday Harbor Labs before you can register for FHL courses. FHL staff will assist students to register through UW Professional and Continuing Education (UW-PCE). Students, including UW students, cannot register themselves for FHL summer courses without assistance from FHL staff.
•Note to UW Students about UW housing contracts: There will be no financial penalty for moving out of a dorm contract in Seattle if students cancel their application and dorm assignment within one week of confirming their attendance at Friday Harbor Labs. Log into the UW Housing & Food Services Application and Assignment Home Page and submit an Agreement Termination Notice (located under the Resident Resources header for the relevant academic year). You will be asked if you will still be enrolled at UW, to which you should answer, “I will be participating in a study abroad/internship.” You will then be asked where you are moving to, and should select the choice “off-campus house/apartment.”